They make us laugh, they cuddle us when we cry, and they love us no matter what. You know who I’m talking about: dogs! Today is National Puppy Day, and I can’t think of a better national holiday I’d like to celebrate.
Puppies, no matter how big or small, bring so much joy to our lives, as we do to theirs. Reasons for owning a dog go on and on as they provide so much love and good in our lives. Dogs improve our physical and mental health in more ways than one.
Here are some fun facts from Purina regarding the benefits of owning a dog:
- Studies have found that dog owners have lower blood pressure, lower cholesterol than non-dog owners and are less likely to have minor or severe health problems
- People recover faster from illnesses and even have higher survival rates after a heart attack if they have a dog
- Dogs provide us with a sense of emotional well-being thanks to the unconditional love they give, which is why they’re also great company and comfort for people who live alone
- Dog ownership can help those with mental health problems to recover and feel better
- Taking your dog for regular walks does help improve your fitness levels, and can help keep you healthy!
There’s no question that dogs indeed are a human’s best friend. Celebrate National Puppy Day by giving your pup some extra love, or consider adding a new bundle of fur to your family!